Friday, January 2, 2009

Have a Quirky New Year

A while ago Logan, my sis-in-law, blogged about her quirks. It was a fun post to read. I've been slow to do the same. Here are my (top) six quirks, in no particular order.

QUIRK #1: I shop at thrift stores. I like buying second-hand items. First off, I feel like I'm contributing positively to the planet by reusing things. I can always find kids' clothes in pretty decent condition for super cheap. Especially girls' clothes. And second, I hate spending my money on something like a new shirt only to find it looks horrible after one wash. If it's already been washed I know what I'm getting and can avoid things that are too wrinkled or skeewumpus (that word takes me back!).

QUIRK #2: I wash my hands a lot. Yes, I'm borderline obsessive about it. I just can't stand having dirty hands. I can get my hands dirty when there's a project to work on, but in day-to-day living, I keep my hands clean. One of the things I liked about having a newborn was that I could insist that others wash their hands too!

QUIRK #3: I hate drinking my calories. In a restaurant, if I have a choice between a delicious fruit-flavored juice and an inferior diet cola I pick cola pretty much every time. At home I drink water, milk or Crystal Light--try their new flavors: orange-pineapple and white grape. I don't like the idea of wasting my daily caloric intake on beverages. And It's not like I count calories fanatically, I guess I'd rather ingest a hunk of chocolate.

QUIRK #4: Be it ever so humble my home is usually messy. I love blaming it on the kids, but the truth is, I kept a messy home before they came along. It's probably for some deep psychological reason, but an untidy house doesn't move me to action like it should. It does bother me sometimes and I am getting better at cleaning, but (here it comes) when I do get to cleaning, the kids seem to mess stuff up again pretty quickly. This very minute the living room floor, which was clean last night, has about a dozen things on it. Told you I love blaming the kids!

QUIRK #5: I go on reading binges. I have a hard time reading a book one chapter at a time (though I am better with non-fiction). Once I start a book I have to finish it. I'll sacrifice sleep and pretty much put everything on hold to finish it. My friend Mollie tells me she reads 50 pages at a time and then forces herself to clean or fold laundry. I just can't do it. I get all obsessive about it.
M-U-S-T---F-I-N-I-S-H---B-O-O-K! If you want me to disappear for a while, just throw a book at me.

QUIRK #6: I can hold a grudge. About 15 or 20 years ago my siblings and I were watching TV and we happened upon the most horrible Pidgin English rendition of "How Great Thou Art." It was bad. My sis, Jamie, and I would relentlessly mock that song: "I hea 'da roh-ling tun-dah!" Only recently have I given the hymn a chance. It's actually got a nice message, Jamie. Who knew?!? But I still find myself rolling my eyes and chuckling every time I have to sing it.

Have a great 2009. Enjoy life. Make some resolutions to improve. Blog about your quirks. Or do it all and blog about your resolve to improve upon your enjoyable quirks.

3 comments:

Maren said...

I saw that how great thou art "performance" TO THIS DAY, I find it incredibly painful to sing that song. So I usually don't sing it all. I'm awful.

I don't have kids, but my house is messy too. I usually blame my pack-rattiness on mom. lol But, really, it's my responsibility. It just stinks.

Nelson Family said...

love it! I guess we all have them, #1:I would have to say I have a hand washing quirk, and everyone feels it, because I am a germ-a-phoebe.. Thanks to Hannah, everyone must sanitize hands upon entering home! #2: I have to have clean floors.. if it is swept or vacuumed I am good.. toys are OK. #3: I like everything to have a place and return there! #4: If I want something done, It is right away.. I can not wait.. ask Trent :) he hates it when I ask him to do something and get frustrated when he does not jump to do it. teehee! Happy New Year!

Brandon and Lindsay said...

Ha-ha! It's funny to read other people's quirks, makes me feel less weird myself:) (although I think I probably have a longer list than you!) I'd have to say, I have the same reading quirk. Just two nights ago I started a book about 9pm cuz Brandon was gone and there was nothing on TV. And I finished it about 4:30, just in time to fall asleep before Jake started yelling, "Morning, Mom!" at 7:00. I always suffer the next day, but it doesn't stop me from doing it the next time!