Friday, December 26, 2008

Christmas Dinner

For Christmas dinner, we had Kalua Pig, Panipopo, rice, pineapple/orange juice and macadamia nut chocolates for dessert. We've been making "Hawaiian" food for Christmas dinner for the last about 4 years. I gave up trying to make Chicken Long Rice about 2 years ago.
 

 
Posted by Picasa

This panipopo recipe is simple and delicious. Panipopo is dinner rolls cooked in coconut milk pudding. I use Kehau Woolsey's recipe.

Use your favorite bread recipe (I used my Kitchenaid recipe)or Rhodes dinner rolls. Prepare coconut pudding by mixing well:
2 cans (13.5oz each)coconut milk
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup water
1/4 cup cornstarch

Pour mixture into a large foil pan or divide between two 9" x 13" cake pans. When dough has risen for an hour, shape into round dinner rolls (about 24). Drop into pan(s) with coconut milk. Let rise again for an hour. Bake at 375 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks delicious:) What a great family tradition.

:) Tiff

Pepper said...

That sounds so yummy! What a wonderful tradition. The only Hawaii-ish food we have around here is chicken curry over rice and sometimes I make spam musubi. Yum. We go to a local Hawaiian BBQ place sometimes and I get chicken katsu. Yummy. I seriously crave yummy local food sometimes and Zippy's, too.

heather said...

anne taught me how to make chicken long rice a couple of months ago...of course i've forgotten, but i can ask her for you lol.

: ) Paula said...

When I tried making it the last time it was pretty flavorless and the long rice noodles expanded like crazy. (It was bad!)

Maybe I should give it another try. . .