Friday, October 17, 2008

How Do I Love STEVE? Let Me Count the Ways

My brother, Steve, and his wife, Crystal, spent about a week and a half at our home. Steve is a master of all things construction and was willing (at first?) to spend his vacation time before starting a firefighting career finishing our basement! Isn't he amazing? We got a gas furnace and duct work installed right before Steve and Crystal arrived. Here's what's new downstairs (I'm dying to show off these photos):

Steve framed in two bedrooms (with closets), laundry room, bathroom, office and a secret passageway under the stairs into the living room. He made non-stop runs to The Home Depot where our line of credit and generosity from my parents was quickly spent. Here Steve is snapping off drywall.

He and Crystal put up drywall and I learned how the pros do it. I thought it was especially telling that when Steve and Crystal talked about their plans to build their own house, they'll have the drywalling hired out. I don't blame them one bit.
We also had generous help from Terry, Ben's co-worker slash former electrician. He helped us install 16 recessed lights, three hallway cans, and outlets everywhere.

Ready for my favorite room? Like I told Crystal this morning, this is the first time I've had a house with more than one bathroom the whole time we've been married!


Travartine (sp?) tile went in. Steve got me started and finished it up, but I helped a little with the tile install. Yay to me! The kids are checking out the new potty. It flushes!

2 comments:

Hansen family said...

Paula- your bathroom looks great! How exciting to finish the basement. I completely understand! Cody and my Dad did our drywall and I've never seem them so tired-ever. We added another bedroom and redid the bathroom, storage and laundry rooms. It's such a huge undertaking, but we love it now. So glad I found your blog!

Pepper said...

Oooh, a basement. How fun! What an awesome brother Steve is. I am sure you never would have imagined him doing that when he was being a pain as a kid. LOL. JK Steve. :)

Awesome bathroom! I love that sink. It is perfect!