Friday, January 14, 2011

Pet Peeve

We have three guinea pigs now.  A friend of a friend needed a home for her guinea pig while they focus on health issues in the family.  We are happy to help, but I do admit to wanting a break from pet ownership.  The guinea pigs' habitat of cedar shavings is messy.  And the dog is annoying.  He chased after a door-to-door meat salesmen the other day.  (Not that I would have bought anything.  I am not a fan of solicitors.  Send me a coupon in the mail.  Buy add space in a newspaper.  Make a commercial.  Don't knock on my door or call me.  Thanks!)   

Anyway, I read about a pet co-op where four families shared their pets.  I think there was a hamster, rabbit, turtle, and small bowl of fish.  They didn't share cats or dogs because adjusting to a different home would be difficult.  The families would rotate "ownership" every three months.  After a few months of taking care of a pet, you hand them off to someone else for a while. The variety kept the kids interested, especially kids who LOVE going to the pet store to look at new animals (I married one of those kids). 

We took care of this furry brown rabbit for one of Ben's co-workers for one day.  Look how attentive my kids are to their a borrowed pet! A one day pet is a commitment even I can handle making!



 Isn't a pet co-op a great idea?
Anyone want to borrow some guinea pigs?  
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Amy Smith said...

Loved this post! Feel free to fedex them here!

: ) Paula said...

Post update: As of March 6th we are down to one guinea pig. Some mysterious illness swept the puny pig population. And our vet, Ben's sister, Jen, offered this bit of news: when guinea pigs get sick they go quick.