Friday, January 22, 2010

Band Nerds Unite

My son, the cello player, told his dad that he was going to switch to the saxophone. I think he said it more because the sax is what daddy plays (er, played). His dad told him to stick to the cello for a few years. He seemed satisfied with this advice until this morning's conversation over breakfast about good and bad bus behavior. I told the boys that Uncle Andrew got to open the back emergency door of the bus ALL THE TIME to fetch his tuba before football games. I saw a glimmer in RO's eye. Now he either wants to switch to the tuba or be a bus driver when he grows up.

Oh, and in case you were wondering, no. They didn't approve of my answer when they asked if I ever opened the back door to get my instrument. Flutes are small. Sorry, kids. Hindsight is twenty twenty. On the first day of beginning band, I should have made sure I would earn open-the-emergency-door-on-the-bus privileges with my instrument selection.


Would I switch instruments, given the chance? I don't know if I'm as easily swayed as my fourth grader. Is my instrument too tied to my identity in high school? I never wanted to switch to tuba, especially during marching season. I have no upper body strength (Carrying a baby in a car seat is too big a struggle for me). The largest instrument I ever wanted to switch to would be the trombone. Hey kids, trombones are wiggly AND spit-filled! When you put it like that, they're waaaaaay better than flutes.
But still not a tuba.

2 comments:

Maren said...

Trumpets don't have emergency door access either. In fact, I just sat next to mine in the seat, OR put my feet resting on the case. Trumpets are versatile... And loud. :)

Andrew S. said...

It was nice to read this post about my new favorite nephew. Tubas Rule!

Tell him that Tubas are so versitile that they can catch snowballs at hostile, enemy football games, too!! Awesome! (I would avoid telling him that because Tubas are so big, they make really good targets for said snowballs.)